'The Golden Couple'

Sascha Kindred and Nyree Lewis, otherwise known as the 'golden couple' of disabled sport, are two of Great Britain's most successful paralympians of the last decade, amassing 20 Paralympic medals between them including an amazing 8 golds. I am the brother of Sascha and am tracking their progress from Athens 2004 to London 2012. Read about their journey to Paralympic Glory here!

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Paralympic World Cup 2006

1-7 May: Sascha & Nyree on this years event

With the success of last years paralympic world cup, sascha and nyree reflect on last year and give thoughts on this years event.

Sascha:

Last years event was very successful for me as i swam my number one event, the 100m breaststroke, and won a gold medal in front of a home crowd which was an amazing feeling. This year I'm entering the event in good form, and although I am not swimming in my number one event again, I will be swimming the 50m butterfly instead which I have slowly been improving in. It is a real opportunity to impress and I will give it 110% and see what happens. Hopefully I'll finish in the medals.


Nyree:

At last years inaugral event i was lucky to have 2 of my main events on the programme, the 100m backstroke and the 200m individual medley, where i won a gold and silver medal respectively. Unfortunately this year the only event that is being held for my classification (S6) is the 50m freestyle which is certainly not one of my strong events and therefore i have not been selected. It's a little dissapointing as I won a gold last year and this year I don't have the opportunity to swim, but as the event is only in it's second year and is not that big yet, the organisers have to choose a number of different events each year until it gets more popular. Despite this though i am still going to travel to manchester to support sascha and the rest of the team, and although
it will be strange being there in the stands watching rather than down on poolside with the team, I will get to experience the event from a different point of view and not have to think about the stress of racing, but just losing my voice cheering instead!

We hope that in the next few years the programme will improve as the swimming appears to have taken a step backwards from last year with many good events for british swimmers not being included. However, this years event will still be a big highlight for the swimmers who are competing as it is a key chance to race rivals from around the world (including the chinese) and prepare for the upcoming world championships in November, and of course, Beijing in 2008.


If you'd like to find out more about this years event, visit http://www.visaparalympicworldcup.com/.

You can also follow all the results at http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/disability_sport/default.stm.

If you have any questions for Sascha and Nyree you can email: thegoldencouple@hotmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home