'The Golden Couple'

Sascha Kindred and Nyree Lewis, otherwise known as the 'golden couple' of disabled sport, are two of Great Britain's most successful paralympians of the last decade, amassing 20 Paralympic medals between them including an amazing 8 golds. I am the brother of Sascha and am tracking their progress from Athens 2004 to London 2012. Read about their journey to Paralympic Glory here!

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Nyree on the Paralympic World Cup

"Being at the world cup as a spectator was quite strange although I guess it was nice to see it from another point of view for once. One thing I immediately experienced was how hot and stuff it was up in the stands watching and I understand a bit more what our family and supporters often experience when they come to watch us. It was quite uncomfortable at times and different to when we are racing as the water cools us down somewhat.

To watch 'Sash' and the rest of the team race from high up was pretty good as I got to see the race much more clearly and was able to forget some of the stresses that I usually have when I am racing, for example, when I need to go to the call up room, whether I've been drinking and eating enough, etc.

Anyway, to see Sash win an event that, well, he wasnt exactly one of the favourites for was superb, especially as I was just hoping he could do as well as he did at the British Nationals 4 weeks earlier. Then, to see him do another personal best was magical, as well as a bit of a shock also, and I was very very proud of him. It just shows how much work he has been doing recently in the Individual Medley which he has also been improving in. It all filters through and I guess it shows you how much work you have to do in training to be able to reep the rewards when you race.

We now have 2 and half years to Beijing which we are already training for and things seem to be going well."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home