'The Golden Couple'

Sascha Kindred and Nyree Lewis, otherwise known as the 'golden couple' of disabled sport, are two of Great Britain's most successful paralympians of the last decade, amassing 20 Paralympic medals between them including an amazing 8 golds. I am the brother of Sascha and am tracking their progress from Athens 2004 to London 2012. Read about their journey to Paralympic Glory here!

Monday, May 08, 2006

Sascha on the Paralympic World Cup

Being Sascha's twin, I managed to get 10 minutes of time within his hectic schedule to speak about the World Cup. Here's his reaction to Saturday's impressive swim...

'WOW', going into this years world cup i was dissapionted that i didn't have the chance to defend my 100m breaststroke title as the race was not chosen this year. However, I was instead invited to swim the 50m fly as 1 was ranked 6th in the world and the top 8 in the world were to compete.

Going into the event I knew it would be tougth to win a medal against Igor Plotnikov the World Record holder and the Paralympic Silver medalist Daniel Vidal. I had nothing to lose and gave the race everything from the start.

Daniel was on my left and as i breath to that side I could see him throughout the race. With 15m to go i was still with him and knew I had a strong finish so put my head down and went for the wall. I spotted the finish perfectly and clocked 33.02 seconds, a new British Record. I was also shocked to see I had won with Daniel second and Igor down in 4th. I was the new world number 1 in a race I have never excelled in.

I will now add this race to my repitour and swim it at the Worlds later this year providing I qualify in july. I would say this topped last years victory in the 100m Breaststroke as iwas a rank outsider but triumphed.

This is up there with one of my best races over the last few years. Bring on bejing 2008!!!


If you want to post a question to Sascha or Nyree, email thegoldencouple@hotmail.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home