'The Golden Couple'

Sascha Kindred and Nyree Lewis, otherwise known as the 'golden couple' of disabled sport, are two of Great Britain's most successful paralympians of the last decade, amassing 20 Paralympic medals between them including an amazing 8 golds. I am the brother of Sascha and am tracking their progress from Athens 2004 to London 2012. Read about their journey to Paralympic Glory here!

Monday, December 04, 2006

Day 3: Sascha breaks 100m Breast stroke WR and wins GOLD.....Again! - AND - GB relay team disqualified.

Well, Sascha's done it again! (Not Britney this time!) Not only has he won yet another gold, yet another World Title and yet another trillion plaudits, he's gone and broken his own 100m Breast Stroke World Record yet again to win gold in a time of 1:22.77 (his old record stoold at 1:22.94). Sascha's main rivials Tomatora Nakamura from Japan and Peng Li from China posted faster times in the heats with 1:26.51 each, compared to Sascha's 1:27.61 so there was plenty of work to do. But Sascha wasn't about to be beaten and proved again why he's the world's number 1.

And I remember the day when we was swimming mid 1:30's!

I got a text from him saying "World Champion. 1:22.77. Sorry bro. Will be on grand stand on Sunday." Just to clear the apology up, it's a long standing joke between us that he never breaks the World Record when I or our mother Beatice are around, therefore maybe I need to reconsider travelling to Beijing in 2008! And maybe if I never turn up at a race he could keep breaking World Records until he's 80!

Anyway, well done Sascha 'the streamlined superfish' Kindred for yet again defending your World Title. If there's a proud person on this planet, there's certainly none prouder than your bro, and our mother of course.

Sascha said, “I knew from the heat that I had the speed to do it tonight,” he said. “I had a fast first 50m this morning and I knew from the training I’ve been doing that I would be able to hold on this evening. On the last 25m I thought ‘this is my one opportunity to win gold’ and I didn’t give up.

“My current form is down to my coach Emma Patrick who took me on again at the start of the year and has revitalised my swimming career. I’m nearly 29 and I should be past it, but I’m still getting quicker. It just goes to show that if you’re prepared to put the work in there’s always room for improvement.”

There was bad news to come later in the evening as the Great Britain 200m LC Freestyle Relay Team including Kenneth Cairns, Gareth Duke, Anthony Stephens and Sascha Kindred were unfortunately disqualified in the final of their race due to a faulty turn. They'll clearly be dissapointed with the results after finishing in second place but hopefully they will put this one behind them and continue winning more medals during the rest of the competition.

BBC Coverage: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/disability_sport/6208506.stm

3 Comments:

  • At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well done Sascha!

    Katie

     
  • At 10:26 PM, Anonymous Beatrice said…

    Beaming proud all over and telling everyone and the world about my 3 heroes!!!!!
    You truly are the BEST!
    Beatrice

     
  • At 9:26 AM, Blogger Zoe said…

    Well Done Sascha and good luck with the rest of it.

    Zoe Cain

     

Post a Comment

<< Home